Born free? I know you don't mean me.

That's what they call me. But I'm not free. I was just born after one oppressor took over from another. It's an unspoken rule where I'm from. We all know it; young and old. We simply don't speak against those in power. No jobs, no healthcare, no money, no future. But we just remain silent because those are the rules, don't you know? If you speak you're unpatriotic, disrespectful to the struggle, a puppet of the West or subversive (wish they'd stop using that word). 

Why can't I just point out that I feel like the whole system has failed me without fear of violence or incarceration. I'm supposed to be grateful that I don't live with South African crime, the dark cloud of terrorism over Europe or the demonising of my Christian beliefs in the Far East. I'm supposed to believe that if my children fall ill today and I cannot afford a pint of blood it's because of sanctions and not because those in power have failed. I'm supposed to celebrate land distribution when I have no reasonable prospect of ever owning even a square metre of it myself. What has 90% literacy done for me lately? I'm heartbroken, to the point of death that every time I dream of my children's future it's anywhere but here. 

Today they showed me what a lie my assigned title really is. I'm not born free. How am I free when I could land in jail for speaking the truth? How am I free when trumped up search warrants can be issued at the click of a finger in order to intimidate me? Where's my freedom? Where is it? Show me so I can move there. 


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My constant fear of what people will think.

They call me mum.

Good morning 2014.