QPR and I against the world!

(image courtesy of BBC News)

I read a heartwarming story about a man who was the only supporter of his team present at a Football match between his team Udinese against Sampdoria.

Alone on the visitors stands, facing a crowd of Sampdoria fans. It's beautiful, poetic even!

I watch my fair share of football. And have supported several teams FOR NO GOOD REASON! And if many football fans were honest enough to admit it, they'd realise that they couldn't explain why they support who they do and if they can it's no better than my own reasons.

I was an Arsenal supporter, a serious regalia wearing, Emirates visiting type. Who could ramble stats in my sleep. It was only because it was my brother in law's team and perhaps deep down I wanted to impress him. I loved why he supported them too. Back in football's uglier days Arsenal was one of the few teams where black players were respected and represented. I supported Newcastle (and still do) because I looooove their black and white strip, love that they're called magpies and also because I loooooved the movie Goal, which was a story about a young American soccer (!) player who makes it big at Newcastle.

I am amazed at the snobbery of football supporters, because just like me, they don't have a reason why they support the teams they do besides the fact that they win! And yet I'm judged for now being a QPR supporter. Not just judged but laughed out of the room.

I quietly followed QPR in the season they made it into the current Premier League. I was impressed by their tenacity and absolutely LOVE their confident declaration WE ARE QPR!!! It inspires me, it says we know who we are and I love it. So they're struggling, they may not make it but I don't only support winners but things I believe in and when I don't believe in them anymore, I move on! All I'm saying is most reasons are no better than mine. Owning every football top your team ever had, watching every match religiously, talking about the team as though you're a qualified coach doesn't make you a better fan or your team more important than mine.

I often feel like that lone supporter in the Stadium, being booed by the opposition fans......let me be.....

We are QPR!


Comments

  1. Takes guts to make a stand against the whole world, easier to just cheer with rhe crowds and conform! What a shame though:-(

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My constant fear of what people will think.

They call me mum.

Good morning 2014.