The best thing a person can be is to be of some use.

Ain't that the truth. Besides eating, sleeping, working, paying bills and all that usual stuff; am I of any use? Am I useful, helpful or making a difference?

It just hit me that I need to justify the time and space I've been given on earth and be of some use. Not just to the people for whom it comes naturally to me. Not just my nephews and nieces or my husband or mum, but those people who need someone to remember them. Goodness knows I am where I am because someone remembered me. Because at every point in my life someone has chosen to be of use to me.

Like all those who remembered my mum, brothers, sisters and me after my dad died. The ones who just knew that we would need some food or whatever it was. You were of some use to me.

Whoever it was who approved my part bursary at the School of Advanced Study. You impacted my life immensely and you don't even know it. You were some use to me.

You who carried me up the stairs and out of the library when I'd fallen and hurt my ankle. You were of use to me. And anyone who's helped me up from a fall. I have the tremendous propensity to fall and not figurative falling. I mean toppling over, missing a step, slipping and hitting the floor. You helper-uppers were of use to me.

And you, the friend who warned me to change my dance moves at my primary school leavers' dance, because people were starting to laugh!!! You were of use to me.

For every single penny, every single bit of clothing, every minute of your time, your shoulder to cry on, the sleepless nights you've had for me, tears you've shed for me, the prayers you've made on my behalf and good words you've put in for me.

For all the times you forgave me, stood up for me and went without so that I could have. For every time you stood next to my hospital bed and with me at the doctors waiting room. When you travelled to celebrate with me and all the times you've felt proud to know me.

You were more than of some use to me. You changed my life and I thank you.

I really hope to spend my life being of use to others like you were to me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My constant fear of what people will think.

They call me mum.

Good morning 2014.